httpd-users mailing list archives

From "timuel" <timuel-apa...@voicenet.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Too many open files: couldn't spawn child process:
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2003 22:00:14 GMT
Just a quick shot-in-the dark:

Has anyone ever seen this in their error_log? I've found several threads in
various archives but never any resolutions.

"[Wed Mar 19 14:58:28 2003] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] (24)Too many open files:
couldn't spawn child process: /home/users/v/vh/vhost/cgi-bin/somescript.cgi"

This is the result of a Perl/CGI script being run out of an SSI "<!--#exec cgi"
call. In any given page this vhost has 5-10 SSI calls to a CGI that opens up
filehandles to textfiles, closes them and then formats what it got from the
filehandle into "prettied-up" HTML. When httpd is started, everything works
fine. After a few hours... it goes right back to this again and I have to
stop/restart httpd. It almost seems like the filehandles aren't closing and are
getting hung forever, but I know that they are...

I'm running 1.3.27 but I doubt that it's caused by only apache, rather apache is
just telling me the status with perl and the filesystem. My ulimit is
unlimited... I've tried with the standard perl interpreter and with mod_perl...
I do't know what else to check. I was kind of hoping that maybe there's somebody
out there has seen and resolved this issue before and is willing to shed some
light.

Thanks!!

--
timuel