httpd-users mailing list archives

From "vizion communication" <viz...@ixpres.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.44 Frontpage Server Extension - FreeBSD
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2003 01:56:50 GMT
Hi Wil

Thank you so much for your time.. it is appreciated. I have
interjected my replies into your comments.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Wil Hatfield - HVHM Customer Care" <wil@hvhm.net>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 4:33 PM
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.44 Frontpage Server
Extension - FreeBSD

> David,
>
> Frontpage documentation is in fact a bit scarce and when
you do find a
> motherload of it you can't tell if it is for MS or UNIX.

Umph -- that is what got to me!!! Especially when I also
found most of the default stuff referring to apache 1.3!!

> A root web is as it sounds a web that goes into your
apache root directory
> and just sits there on port 80. At least that is what I
get from it.

All my virtual domains are listening on port 80. Once the
main system is up I then have to incorporate a round robin
on our DNS servers to rotate the traffic between the
webservers. I think I will have to write a script which will
automatically upload changes between the webservers. Anyway
I will think about the implications once I have the
frontpage extension working on one server!!

During
> install I skip the root web, skip the standard webs, and
skip the virtual
> webs, and skip the subwebs. Basically I just get it all
installed and use
> the admin panel to configure the rest.

Sounds like a good scheme

> I then use the following to create the admin port:
>
> ./owsadm.exe -o setadminport -s
/usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf -port
> 8090 -username superusername -pw superpassword

I am with you so far

> You will want to change the path to the location of your
httpd.conf if
> different than mine and you DEFINATELY want to change the
superusername and
> superpassword shown in the string. This is the user/pass
for the big kahoona
> admin that can extend virtual domains. The Great Frontpage
God per-se. Don't
> use bill/gates though I am sure hackers try that first.
:-)

Maybe I should use MS$Billions instead !!!

> > I have multiple
> > virtual domains which are configured using the Include
> > directive.
>
> I don't follow here. Let me try to catch up.... Do you
have <VirtualHost>
> directives set in your http.conf file?
Not in the http.conf. I use the directive in http.conf which
reads something like:

Include /path/to/my/virtual/domains/config/directory/

That entry causes Apache to read each of  the files in my
virtual host config directory (which I call vhostsconf) and
Apache proceeds to dynamically include the contents of each
of the files in http.conf when apache loads. Every virtual
domain has a seperate file in the vhostsconf directory. I
have a script which generates the vhostconf files when I add
virtual hosts to the system. Each file contains lines such
as:

<virtualhost xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx>
          ServerName   www.this.virtual.host.name
          ServerAdmin  admin@this.virtual.host.name
          DocumentRoot /path/to/this/virtual/host/pages/
</virtualhost>

If so Frontpage will see these and
> allow you to extend them from the admin panel.

I wonder if M$Gruntpage (sorry FrontPage ;-) will pick up
the Include directive - no doubt I will find out soon
enough!!

Once you have the adminport
> set as show above you can access the admin panel at
> http://yourmachinesdomain.com:8090 and login as Great
Frontpage God. On the
> way in is when the scripts read your httpd.conf and show
you what virtual
> domains are in there. You may be able to figure it all out
from there.
> Pretty easy.
>
> Now back to the install problems. Delete
/usr/local/frontpage and reinstall
> this time telling it NO for root, webs, virtual webs, and
sub webs. Open
> your httpd.conf and make sure that you don't have a double
LoadModule entry
> since we are RE-installing.
>
> The rest should be childs play but let me know if I can be
of further
> assistance.

I will be having a go as soon as I get some other work out
of the way...at the moment I am snowed under with system
admin stuff - so you can understand why your help is so much
appreciated!!

David

> Wil Hatfield

Server Extension -
> > FreeBSD
> >

> > Thanks very much - I followed your suggestions and
installed
> > the files.
> >
> > I chose the option to have the server generate a script
but
> > then got very confused when I was asked for a "root"
web.
> > When asked for a filename - I just made up one "myroot"
and
> > the script kept asking for a filename so I assum it did
not
> > like what it had but had no idea what was expected!!
> >  I just did not understand where the script was taking
me or
> > what was being asked of me!!!  I also have no experience
of
> > frontpage and what seems to me to be somewhat
idiosyncratic
> > terminology coming from the MS$ camp. What do they mean
by
> > root web? As far as I am concerned every virtual server
is
> > its own root!!!
> >
> > My system is set up for virtual domains - so I have no
> > http://www.mydomain/~homes to contend but I have
multiple
> > virtual domains which are configured using the Include
> > directive.
> >
> > At the moment I am sure I do not know what I am doing!!!
> > <GRINZ> it will not be the first time and I hope it will
not
> > be the last!!! The script is certainly sparse with its
> > explanations!!!
> >
> > With thanks, humor and patience
> >
> > David

Microsoft's
> > official UNIX
> > > flavored affiliate. Go ahead and signup for the Beta
> > program and you can
> > > download the Extensions and Install Script.
> > >
> > > http://www.rtr.com/fpsupport/whatsnew.htm#beta2freebsd
> > >
> > > The install for me went really well. MUCH easier than
with
> > the Apache 1.3.2x
> > > versions. Frontpage gets installed as a DSO, applies
the