httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jacob Coby" <jc...@listingbook.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Source Code Oraginzation
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2003 23:11:07 GMT
>>I kept telling him that; but Mr. 10 years of expience at AOL, Bell Labs,
and
AT&T as a Sybase DBA "knows better"<<

He's a DBA?!?  Let him design schemas, views, and stored procs.  ;-)

>>After giving the other reasons, still wanted more citing he can't find
things.
I say grep -r  or grep -R for a great majority of systems works great
including every single one we use.<<

grep -rn is great.  Use it all the time.

We actually split up usage from implementation via libraries and directories
(PHP).  It actually makes some things easier -- for example finding the
usage of a function vs finding the implementation.

It makes it easier to keep track of what does what.  You know that
everything in cgi-bin/ reacts to something in one way or another.  And you
know that everything in lib/ does something, and may or may not render
anything.  But you know that everything in lib/ cannot be exploited since
there is no code entry point -- just a bunch of functions and defines and
whatnot.

You also don't have a big clusterfuck of files to wade through.  That means
more than it might seem after a while.

-Jacob