httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Bankside Publishing" <banks...@btclick.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Configuring Apache stats
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2003 14:14:43 GMT
Hi

According to the Apache Own pages, there are two ways of configuring Apache
to do anything except hand out information upon request.

1) Get a degree (or years of trial-and-error) in high level computer
programming and then compile the programme right from scratch (in my case,
it would be easier to fly to the moon without a spaceship).

2) Find someone who has done this already and get a copy.

I have a relatively modest publishing website using Apache 1.3 which works
great on my w2000 platform using a PIII running at 800+ mhz with 512mb RAM.
Before using Apache, I was using something called "The Server" which gave
minute by minute stats but was less stable and used more processing power (I
do get anything up to 2 million hits a day, paticularly at weekends). I know
I can print off the access log and reading this is a superb remedy for
insomnia.

All I need to be able to do is (at the end of the day/week/whatever) know
how many times page one was accessed and so on for my 12,000+ pages (or even
just the main file headings). I do not desperately need something so
sophistacated that it tells me which surfer was reading which page at what
time in which town and what he/she was eating at the time. I just want a
rough idea as to which pages are most used so that I can develop the site in
the correct direction.

Does anyone have anything I can use (something simple enough for an idiot to
install, please)?

The site is www.banksidepublishing.com

Thanks in advance

PS   Please please please, no multitechnojargon