httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jim Mozley" <jim.moz...@exponential-e.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Basic Authentication Problem
Date Mon, 17 Mar 2003 14:25:59 GMT

I am using apache version 2.0.44 with mod_perl on Solaris and am having
problems with basic authentication. I have done what I believe is the
"normal" configuration (having done this before with apache) of creating a
password file with appropriate permissions for the web server to read and
set up the server with a directive to test as below.

http.conf contains:

<Files mypage.html>
    Order allow,deny
    AuthType Basic
    AuthName "Authorised Users Only"
    AuthUserFile /usr/local/apache/conf/userauth
    Require valid-user
</Files>

error_log shows:

client denied by server configuration: /usr/local/apache/htdocs/mypage.html

I have tried LogLevel at debug and using snoop to see the packets sent out
by the server but cannot see anything sent back and see nothing more than
the error above in the log file. I have also tried with authorisation on
directories and the error is the same. If I remove the authentication the
page is displayed correctly.

Any ideas for further debugging or possible causes would be welcome.

Regards,

Jim