httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Nikunj Virani" <nik...@netsurf.co.in>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Problems with virtual hosting
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2003 13:48:13 GMT
Hi,

>>Anyway still I have a minor problem. In both cases where it is working,
after I am connected to the webmail service I get in >>Internet Explorer in
the address bar the http://yourExternalIP:3000, so it replaces me the alias.
Instead I would like to keep >> the alias in the address bar, so that
http://yourExternalIP:3000 is hid from the users.

Unforunately, you need the second one of the three given to work for you to
hide from the customers yourExternalIP:3000. I am not sure why the second
one did not work for you. Can you send me what errors do u get while trying
to use the second one ?

Note: Just make sure you have both mod_rewrite and mod_proxy module enabled
while using the second VirtualHost configurations.

Try this one. Confirm again you need both mod_rewrite module and mod_proxy
module to work for this.

<VirtualHost yourexternalIP:80>
 Servername              webmail.test.com
 ProxyRequests On
 RewriteEngine On
 RewriteRule (.*) http://yourExternalIP:3000$1 [P]
</VirtualHost>

>On the other hand, I am still courius, why it is not working with ProxyPass
and ProxyPassReverse?

I am not sure what errors you get while using ProxyPass. can you cross check
your Proxy module ? It could be a problem with your proxy module as if
"RewriteRule (.*) http://yourExternalIP:3000$1 [R]" works for you, most
often then not mod_rewrite is compiled and working.

>And I also would like to know, why it is not working also with rewrite [P]?
What do u get on apache logs ? rewrite [P] needs both mod_proxy as well as
mod_rewrite to work properly. It seems you have problem with mod_proxy.

>BTW what is the difference between the rewrite [P] and [R] and simple
redirect?

Courtesy : http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_rewrite.html

'redirect|R [=code]' (force redirect)
Prefix Substitution with http://thishost[:thisport]/ (which makes the new
URL a URI) to force a external redirection. If no code is given a HTTP
response of 302 (MOVED TEMPORARILY) is used.

proxy|P' (force proxy)
This flag forces the substitution part to be internally forced as a proxy
request and immediately (i.e., rewriting rule processing stops here) put
through the proxy module. You have to make sure that the substitution string
is a valid URI (e.g., typically starting with http://hostname) which can be
handled by the Apache proxy module. If not you get an error from the proxy
module. Use this flag to achieve a more powerful implementation of the
ProxyPass directive, to map some remote stuff into the namespace of the
local server.
Notice: To use this functionality make sure you have the proxy module
compiled into your Apache server program. If you don't know please check
whether mod_proxy.c is part of the ``httpd -l'' output. If yes, this
functionality is available to mod_rewrite. If not, then you first have to
rebuild the ``httpd'' program with mod_proxy enabled.

RedirectPermanent:
This directive makes the client know that the Redirect is permanent (status
301). Exactly equivalent to Redirect permanent.

Hope this helps!!

Regards,
Nikunj Virani
Senior System Administrator