httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jennifer" <jenni...@silversenshi.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Setup question
Date Fri, 07 Mar 2003 04:24:00 GMT

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jeff Cohen
  To: users@httpd.apache.org
  Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 11:10 PM
  Subject: RE: [users@httpd] Setup question

  Hi Jennifer,

  I checked the served pages of your webserver, I guess your problem might be one of the next:

  1. DocumentRoot is not set correctly.

  # DocumentRoot: The directory out of which you will serve your
  # documents. By default, all requests are taken from this directory, but
  # symbolic links and aliases may be used to point to other locations.
  #
  DocumentRoot "/var/www/html"

  #
  # Each directory to which Apache has access can be configured with respect
  # to which services and features are allowed and/or disabled in that
  # directory (and its subdirectories).
  #
  # First, we configure the "default" to be a very restrictive set of
  # features.
  #
  <Directory />
      Options FollowSymLinks
      AllowOverride None
  </Directory>

  #
  # Note that from this point forward you must specifically allow
  # particular features to be enabled - so if something's not working as
  # you might expect, make sure that you have specifically enabled it
  # below.
  #

  #
  # This should be changed to whatever you set DocumentRoot to.
  #
  <Directory "/var/www/html">

  #
  # Possible values for the Options directive are "None", "All",
  # or any combination of:
  #   Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks SymLinksifOwnerMatch ExecCGI Multiviews
  #
  # Note that "MultiViews" must be named *explicitly* --- "Options All"
  # doesn't give it to you.
  #
  # The Options directive is both complicated and important.  Please see
  # http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#options
  # for more information.
  #
      Options Indexes FollowSymLinks

  #
  # AllowOverride controls what directives may be placed in .htaccess files.
  # It can be "All", "None", or any combination of the keywords:
  #   Options FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
  #
      AllowOverride None

  #
  #
      Order allow,deny
      Allow from all

  </Directory>

  #
  # Disable autoindex for the root directory, and present a
  # default Welcome page if no other index page is present.
  #
  <LocationMatch "^/$>
      Options -Indexes
      ErrorDocument 403 /error/noindex.html
  </LocationMatch>

  I went ahead and uploaded an index.html file to this directory, but when I go look in the
file manager I don't see it.

  2. ServerRoot is not set correctly.

  ### Section 1: Global Environment
  #
  # The directives in this section affect the overall operation of Apache,
  # such as the number of concurrent requests it can handle or where it
  # can find its configuration files.
  #

  #
  # Don't give away too much information about all the subcomponents
  # we are running.  Comment out this line if you don't mind remote sites
  # finding out what major optional modules you are running
  ServerTokens OS

  #
  # ServerRoot: The top of the directory tree under which the server's
  # configuration, error, and log files are kept.
  #
  # NOTE!  If you intend to place this on an NFS (or otherwise network)
  # mounted filesystem then please read the LockFile documentation
  # (available at <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#lockfile>);
  # you will save yourself a lot of trouble.
  #
  # Do NOT add a slash at the end of the directory path.
  #
  ServerRoot "/etc/httpd"

  3. CanonicalName Off should be On.

  # UseCanonicalName: Determines how Apache constructs self-referencing
  # URLs and the SERVER_NAME and SERVER_PORT variables.
  # When set "Off", Apache will use the Hostname and Port supplied
  # by the client.  When set "On", Apache will use the value of the
  # ServerName directive.
  #
  UseCanonicalName Off

  I turned it to on, and nothing happened, so I moved it back to off.

  4. ServerName is not set correctly.

  not sure where this one is.....

  And since the page said something about a proxy problem, here is that:

  # Proxy Server directives. Uncomment the following lines to
  # enable the proxy server:
  #
  <IfModule mod_proxy.c>
  ProxyRequests On

  <Proxy *>
      Order deny,allow
     Deny from all
      Allow from *
  </Proxy>

  I don't see any other configuration that might indicate about permissions and or so.

  If you'd like to share more info such as the Server Section in your httpd.conf file and
a description about the directories structure, that might help us to help you.

  All the best,

  Jeff Cohen