httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Mike Burkhouse" <mburkho...@learningvoyage.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] SSL - server won't start - nothing in logs
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2003 16:05:20 GMT
Hi Owen,

I hadn't explicitly configured with --enable-ssl.  I reconfigured the server
and everything works as it should now.

Thank you very much for walking me through this.

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Boyle Owen [mailto:Owen.Boyle@swx.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 9:40 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] SSL - server won't start - nothing in logs

No, you're right... But it is confusing :-) It breaks down like this:

Apache 1.3 has no SSL functionality in the core distribution. There are two
ways to achieve it:

- Take the Apache source and build in SSL functionality. This is the
Apache+SSL approach. This produces a new apache binary (called httpsd).

- Make a dynamic module which gives SSL functionality and either compile it
in or load it at runtime. This is the mod_ssl approach. With apache 1.3,
mod_ssl is an additional 3rd party module which you have to patch into the
apache source and compile yourself.

Apache 2 has absorbed mod_ssl into the source tree as an extension module.
This means that you don't have to download it and install it, but you do
have to specify that you want it when you compile apache (like mod_proxy
etc.).

>RE: trying to browse to my server.
>
>My server does not respond to https://server.  Nothing appears in my
>error_log or my transfer_log and I do not have a SSLEngineLog

I suspect you have not set up an SSL virtual host...

You need, at the very least (abbreviated directives):

Listen 443
<VirtualHost ip:443>
  Docroot
  SSLEngine on
  SSLCert
  SSLKey
  SSLEngineLog
</VH>

Do you have anything like this in the httpd.conf?

Rgds,
Owen Boyle