httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Grish" <grish...@egosurf.net>
Subject [users@httpd] Resource limitations on Apache 1.3.27
Date Mon, 31 Mar 2003 16:34:16 GMT
Had a couple quick questions for the group about resource limitations on the
Apache 1.3.x series of servers.

First off, what exactly is the function of the soft vs. the hard limits? The
documentation implies that the soft limits on a per-user basis (provided you
have suexec - I do), and the hard limits are overall or total numbers.
However, this doesn't seem to be the case. With a soft limit of 32
(RLimitNPROC 32) processes, I can get well over 60 going for the same user.
I haven't tried spawning processes across multiple users yet. Currently, I
have the limit set to 32/60. I'm hoping that means 32 for one user, 60
total?

Second, what unit is the memery limit (RLimitMEM) set in? It appears to be
bytes, based on trial-and-error, but I'm not entirely certain. The
documentation doesn't appear to say.

Thanks!