httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Mike Burkhouse" <mburkho...@learningvoyage.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] SSL - server won't start - nothing in logs
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2003 14:18:08 GMT
Thank you for your reply.

I expected a process called httpsd to start - that's what I was looking for.
Sorry for my misunderstanding.

With that said, I am confused about your comment regarding Apache+SSL vs.
Apache with mod_ssl.  I am pretty sure I read in the mod_ssl archives that
SSL was a built-in feature of Apache2 and that I did not need to install
mod_ssl (so I didn't).  Am I wrong (again)?

RE: trying to browse to my server.

My server does not respond to https://server.  Nothing appears in my
error_log or my transfer_log and I do not have a SSLEngineLog

Thanks,

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Boyle Owen [mailto:Owen.Boyle@swx.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 8:46 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] SSL - server won't start - nothing in logs

>-----Original Message-----
>From: Mike Burkhouse [mailto:mburkhouse@learningvoyage.com]
>
>Httpd starts, but httpsd does not

Are you looking for a process called "httpsd"? You won't find it...
httpsd is a feature of Apache+SSL, which is quite a different thing from
Apache2 with mod_ssl. The SSL functionality is contained in the httpd
process and is only revealed when you make an SSL connection.

If you mean, "the server does not respond to https://server/" then that
is another question. What happens when you do this? Do you get anything
in the ErrorLog, TransferLog or SSLEngineLog then?

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

>and no warnings or errors
>are written to
>the log.
>
>I deleted and re-created my key and cert files but that did not help.
>
>I hope someone on this list has overcome a similar problem and
>can point me
>in the right direction.  Please let me know if you need any more
>information.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Mike

views of the sender's company.