httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Deon de Villiers" <d...@hetzner.co.za>
Subject [users@httpd] httpd process suddenly spins on CPU
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2003 19:50:51 GMT
Hi Apache Users

I am comletely stumped with a problem I have.  Details are as follows:

OS: Redhat 7.0 (quite heavily patched)
Apache 1.3.26
(mod_auth_pam/1.0a mod_gzip/1.3.26.1a PHP/4.2.3 PHP/3.0.18 mod_ssl/2.8.10
OpenSSL/0.9.6g mod_perl/1.27 mod_jk/1.1.0 FrontPage/5.0.2.2510)

The server and all httpd processes run along quite happily for a number of
hours (6-10), then all of a sudden 1 (maybe 2 or 3) httpd processes will
simply start consuming all the available CPU (box hits 0% idle).  Restart
Apache and all is well for a number more hours.  When this happen Apache is
unable to server any more pages (in order for this to not continually
disrupt the sites on this server and to stop getting me out of bed at all
hours, I have simply put in a cron job which restarts Apache every 20
minutes - can run like this for ever and no one would even know we are
having a problem).  Interestingly, often I have to restart Apache twice
before all is well again??

I have tried to run strace against the culprit process(es), but absolutely
nothing comes up in the output.

I have also tried to pick up a trend within the Apache logs of what is being
browsed to at the time of the processes going crazy without it pointing to
anything thus far.

With regards to our server configuration, we have around 100 servers running
the identical config - spread between South Africa and Germany and this
problem does not appear on any of our other servers.  The hardware has been
swapped out (except for the disk) without any change.

Any insight most appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Deon.