httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Serge Medentsev" ...@3000gt.ru>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache 2.0 zero sized reply
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2003 18:30:23 GMT
Best regards to everyone!

While trying to adjust my Apache settings to work more stable on my hosting
provider's virtual Linux box I've accidentally did something (can't figure
out what) that lead to a very unusual effect...

At some point my Apache stopped to send any files over a certain size. Here
is an example:

I have a few test files in http://www.3000gt.ru/pictures/ directory. If I
try to access the smaller ones (GET /pictures/b.gif HTTP/1.1; Host:
www.3000gt.ru) I receive exactly what I expect:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 17:21:40 GMT
Server: Apache/2.0.44 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.44 OpenSSL/0.9.7a PHP/4.3.1
Last-Modified: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 21:46:37 GMT
ETag: "16f4f3-2d-82ede940"
Accept-Ranges: bytes

Opening browser (IE6.0) and pointing to to this file gives the required
image. Apache logs the activity as "GET /pictures/b.gif HTTP/1.1" 200 45

Everything is absolutely fine so far.

But if I try to access a bigger file, lets say
http://www.3000gt.ru/pictures/ie-settings.gif (44Kb) by doing "GET
/pictures/ie-settings.gif HTTP/1.1; Host: www.3000gt.ru" I get absolutely
nothing. Apache closes the socket and does not send a single byte of
information. No headers, no data, nothing. Just cuts the connection. If I
try to access it with browser, it complains about "zero sized reply".

Surprisingly, Apache reports "GET /pictures/ie-settings.gif HTTP/1.1" 200
45381

It even goes as far as to report that the file was served in appr. 0.5 msec.

I've checked all other file types - gif, jpeg, png, pdf, etc. All the same.
In all other directories (including root directory) Apache does absolutely
the same. As soon as file exceeds some size (~500 bytes I think) it just
shuts down the connection. At the same time it will easily serve PHP
documents no matter how big or complex they are.

I'm totally lost. I've checked httpd.conf prrobably a dozen times and didn't
find anything suspicious. I've even went as far as to set LogLevel=debug to
find anything unusual. Absolutely nothing.

Did anyone experienced anything like this? Any clues as to where to look?