httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Michael Klama" <nosed...@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] problem configuring mod_rewrite rule
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2003 12:20:05 GMT
Hello Owen,
I was incorrect in my previous statement that said the rewrite was working
correctly and I was getting a permissions error.  I spent about 6 hours last
night trying to figure out exactly what is going on by changing the rewrite
rule and watching the logs.  What I was able to determine was exactly what
Jurgen wrote in his post yesterday.  The rewrite condition is being matched,
REMOTE_USER and the file path is being rewritten to the same document root
that it was before the condition was matched.  Now I need to figure out how
to change the file path from that point so my client is taken to their
proper directory.  In answer to your questions you posted

What The User Types: client web site administrators.  This rewrite will take
them to a page that is customized to their domain

What The URL Should Change To:  I am not so concerned with changing the URL.
If it can be changed, fine, if not, fine.  My concern is changing the file
path to the page that is customized for their domain.  In this particular
case I am working on the document root for users.mrktechweb.com is
/home/users/web/ and this rewrite needs to change that to
/home/users/web/mrktechweb/ based on RewriteCond REMOTE_USER.  Another
different domain admin will type in the same URL users.mrktechweb.com and
will be taken to his particular directory /home/users/web/hisdomain/.  I
will put in a rewrite rule and condition for each domain that I have on my
server so each site admin can access their own customized page in their own
particular directory beneath the users.mrktechweb.com document root.

Last night I also discovered that the permission error I was getting was due
to the fact that the file path was not being rewritten and I was ending up
in the same document root /home/users/web/ which did not contain an index
file and I do not have directory indexing turned on on this server.

I hope I have explained all of this properly and this will be useful in your
response.

Mike