httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Gareth Kirwan" <g...@thermeoneurope.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Compression ( probably again )
Date Mon, 31 Mar 2003 09:29:16 GMT
I'm sure this topic has come up enough over time - but I thought I'd raise
it again.

For the last year or so we've used mod_gzip ( and ignored the -EAPCI
warnings that I should have taken the time to fix :D )

Now I've spent some time clearing up our Mason servers - and it seems I
should look at the way that Apache handles compression at the same time.

The question is - what module should we be using ...

The three alternatives I've got are:

Let Mason do it itself in the autohandler ( nothing to do with this list -
probably the most inefficient method )
Use do_gzip ( Mozilla project:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/apache/gzip/ )
Use mod_gzip ( Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mod-gzip/ )

What experience do people have with these three methods?

Any advice / articles I should look at ?

Thanks

Gareth Kirwan
Programming & Development,
Thermeon Europe Ltd,