httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Michael Klama" <nosed...@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject [users@httpd] problem configuring mod_rewrite rule
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2003 12:43:03 GMT
Hello all,
I have been struggling with this for several days now.  I have read through
the documentation at http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_rewrite.html and
thought I was doing correctly what I needed to do.  Unfortunately I'm not as
think as I smart I am!  Therefore I need help.
What I am trying to accomplish is to have a request that comes into the root
directory of my web be rewritten based on the remote user name to a
directory that is beneath the root web directory.  My <VirtualHost>
directive is set up to do the authentication at that level and I also put
the rewrite logging entry at that level.  I put the rewrite rule in the
htaccess file that is in the web root directory /home/users/web because the
authentication need to take place in the first level before it gets to the
rewriterule.  It seems that no matter what changes I make to the rule, I get
an endless loop in my rewrite log and the page never loads.  I am placing in
a copy of my htaccess file and also the log entry's from the rewrite log.
Would someone take a look and see if they can spot where I have gone wrong
please?

# -FrontPage-

#IndexIgnore .htaccess */.??* *~ *# */HEADER* */README* */_vti*

<Limit GET POST>
order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from all
</Limit>
<Limit PUT DELETE>
order deny,allow
deny from all
</Limit>
AuthName users.mrktechweb.com
AuthUserFile /home/users/web/mrktechweb/_vti_pvt/service.pwd
AuthGroupFile /home/users/web/mrktechweb/_vti_pvt/service.grp
RewriteEngine	on
RewriteCond	%{REMOTE_USER}	^mike.*
RewriteRule	(/*)	/mrktechweb/index.htm$1

(2) init rewrite engine with requested uri /mrktechweb/index.htm
(1) pass through /mrktechweb/index.htm
(3) [per-dir /home/users/web/] strip per-dir prefix:
/home/users/web/mrktechweb/index.htm -> mrktechweb/index.htm
(3) [per-dir /home/users/web/] applying pattern '(/*)' to uri
'mrktechweb/index.htm'
(4) RewriteCond: input='mike' pattern='^mike.*' => matched
(2) [per-dir /home/users/web/] rewrite mrktechweb/index.htm ->
/mrktechweb/index.htm
(1) [per-dir /home/users/web/] internal redirect with /mrktechweb/index.htm
[INTERNAL REDIRECT]
[...]

As you can see this just goes on and on and on.  I gets to the point where
it will completely hang up everything on my server.  Thank you to all who
can help

Mike