httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Adrian Portsmouth" <serv...@phpscriptsearch.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Mod Rewrite - PHP Session ID
Date Thu, 20 Mar 2003 23:12:53 GMT
Dear List,

I am seeking some advice with the Mod Rewrite module of Apache and
incorporating the PHP Session ID.

At the moment I have my mod rewrite working very well, all URL's in the
form of

Domain.com/cat/(categoryname).php

Are rewritten to

Domain.com/cat/category_display.php?ID=(categoryname)

And everything is working fine except for one major problem, the PHP
Session ID's. Normally I would populate the ID myself by appending it
onto the URL but the purpose of my project is for search engine
optimization so I don't want to append the ID or include it in the URL,
instead I would like to dynamically retrieve the URL but I cannot find
any resources for this or any assistance. All sources I have found
suggest using URL's like:

Domain.com/SESSIONID/cat/(categoryname).php

Which would defeat the purpose of mod rewrite for me as the objective is
to reduce the path lengths creating a greater chance of being listed in
search engines. If anyone has any suggestions or advice I would really
appreciate it.

Many Thanks
Adrian Portsmouth