httpd-users mailing list archives

From Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] .htaccess + htpasswd NOT working
Date Thu, 27 Feb 2003 08:02:36 GMT
Astrid Hendra wrote:

>Hi Rich,
>
>I've read the authentication tutorial and I followed all the instructions and the end
result is the same problem I have now.  The reason why my httpd.conf and assorted pariphenalia
looks different to the tutorial is because it didn't work I've been trying other ideas especially
those people have suggested to me.

[...]

>I understand that placing the password file in the same directory that the website is
served from is a no-no but I was doing this to demonstrate that the file could be accessed
from that directory because without authentication enabled the website was able to be accessed
by Apache. (I hope I've phrased that clearly enough).

Hi Astrid,

There's an old saying, "If what you're doing doesn't work, stop doing
it."  There is probably a basic error that everyone is missing due to
having looked too many times, and due to the configuration being
stretched out of shape.  There is a debugging method that usually helps
in this type of situation--whack it back 'til it works.

In this case, remove *all* .htaccess lines in httpd, remove the password
authentication files, and get back to a vanilla (VHs ok), but working
configuration.  Make sure your pages are under the doc root, and
"personal" pages are under "/~<user>/".  Now, follow *exactly* the
authentication tutorial.  Remember, the tutorial instructions *do* work
when followed.  If it doesn't work, you goofed, do it again --- from
scratch.  Remember, what you're doing now does *not* work.

Think of it as a learning experience and I'll bet the error will pop up
and bite you right on the... :)

BTW, your mailer seems to be broken.  It is not providing a
"references:" header.  Lacking this header breaks threading.  Threading
by subject alone breaks, uh, reference when the thread gets longer than
a few messages.

--
gt                                     kk5st@sbcglobal.net
If you find you've dug yourself into a hole, stop digging.