httpd-users mailing list archives

From Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] question about turning off indexing
Date Thu, 13 Feb 2003 19:30:26 GMT
CJ wrote:

>Yes it is true. I have them on their own file system
>/cgi-bin is on a File system and /public is its own.

What do you mean by "on their own file system"?

>Even so that should not matter.
>
>I made a dir called /public/cgi-bin and made an entry
>in my httpd.conf file to reflect this.

What was that entry, explicitly?

>I then stopped and started the server and I get the
>same result.
>
>I even tried to link the /public/cgi-bin to the
>/cgi-bin and same result. It follow the link fine.
>
>SO I have tried several places and options.
>
>What else do you recommend I try?

Why on earth would you be doing anything in / (root)?  Certainly files
don't belong there.  The only things in my root directory are FHS
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/ standard directories and links to the
kernel.  A directory "public" does not belong in root.

Do you have some (unknown to us) reason for departing from the normal
placement?  If not,

DocumentRoot /var/lib/www or
DocumentRoot /usr/local/lib/www

ScriptAlias /cgi/ /var/lib/cgi-bin/ or
ScriptAlias /cgi/ /usr/local/lib/cgi-bin/

First set a default.  (This is the system root)

<Directory />
	Options SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
	AllowOverride None
</Directory>

Now the doc root directory

<Directory /usr/local/lib/www>
	AllowOverride None
	Options -Index
	other stuff
</Directory>

And the script directory

<Directory /usr/local/lib/cgi-bin>
	AllowOverride None
	Options ExecCGI
	more stuff
</Directory>

The point of this is that the directories are actual, not aliases.  I
say this, because it is unclear whether you are using the alias or very
bad real addresses in the directives.

--
gt                  kk5st@sbcglobal.net
 If someone tells you---