httpd-users mailing list archives

From Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] RHL 7.1
Date Sun, 02 Feb 2003 06:56:03 GMT
Timothy M. Brauch wrote:

[...]
>I have read the instructions at apache.org and the How-To's at redhat.com
>and the Apache chapter in Steve Shah's "Linux Administration: A Beginner's
>Guide"  However, the last two were somewhat out of date.
>
>What I would like to do is upgrade to the latest version of Apache, 2.0.44
>on my computer.  I am don't really care where the actual program gets
>installed,

You should care.  Read about the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard:
	http://www.pathname.com/fhs/

>but I would like to store all of my html files at /var/www.

That's configurable.  RTFM.
	http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/

>The configure options all seem to be changing where the program get installed.
>I would also like Apache and httpd to start when I boot up.

RTFM

>I could not figure out how to do this from the resource I have looked at,
>and I do not want to install the software if I cannot get this to work.

I read somewhere that any manual needs to be read three times.  If you
understand in fewer readings, you're just reminding yourself.  If you
still don't understand in three readings, your knowledge base is not
large enough.

>If someone could offer help, or point me to a website, I would be grateful.

In addition to the Apache docs, read chapter 36 of The Rute User's
Tutorial and Exposition by Sheer, available as a dead tree or on-line at
	http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz

Read chapter 16 of Running Linux, by Welsh, et al from O'Reilly.  Dead
tree only, ~USD35.

Apache does not require you to be a rocket scientist to configure and
run.  It does require *some* study on your part.

--
gt                         kk5st@sbcglobal.net
  Nielsen's First Law of Computer Manuals: