httpd-users mailing list archives

From Josh Konkol <jkon...@guidemail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Translating Query Strings to Http Headers with rewrite
Date Thu, 27 Feb 2003 13:03:01 GMT
My guess is I need to use mod_rewrite but I'm not sure.  I'm using apache
version 1.3.20.  Here's what I need to do.

Short Desc:  Using mod_rewrite and mod_proxy I need to take incoming
requests which will have Query strings, (i.e. www.mydomain.com/index.htm?
user=joe) and turn the Query string user=joe into an HTTP header user=joe
before passing it onto the final web server that will process the request.

Long Desc:  We have WebSphere portal serving pages to external users.  We
cannot pass http header variables through the portlets on the portal server
but we CAN pass Query Strings.  My thought is to have a reverse proxy
between the internal web sites and the portal server.  When a request comes
into the portal it is passed onto the reverse proxy which turns the query
string into an HTTP header.  The internal web sites are looking for
specific HTTP header variables proving the user is authenticated.

Thanks for any help !!

Josh