httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] ThreadsPerChild setting
Date Fri, 28 Feb 2003 14:20:40 GMT

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Laurent de Menditte wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> For a professionnal application used by 250 users, we're using Apache
> version 1.3.22 on a Windows 2000 server and we sometimes encounter the
> following error:
>
> [error] Server ran out of threads to serve requests. Consider raising
> the ThreadsPerChild setting
>
> This setting is currently valued to 100, after we've already increased
> it many times. How can we be sure what value should be efficient?

The first thing to do is strongly consider upgrading to Apache 2, which is
MUCH more efficient on windows.

Second, the optimum setting for ThreadsPerChild really depends on your
available resources.  The import resource is memory.  So try raising it
and watch the effect on free memory.  Make sure you don't raise it so high
that the server must swap back and forth to disk to serve requests,
because this will kill performance.

Joshua.