httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] virtual host headers
Date Mon, 17 Feb 2003 22:26:16 GMT
On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, skipper wrote:

> i have set up a virtual website using the header approach
> but the browser goes to an actual website by the same domain
> name...perhaps this is the way it should work to prevent registered
> domains from becoming invisible on the internet...if i don't use headers
> but use virtual ips on one nick i don't seem to have a problem but there
> will be fees to
> register the extra ips with internic....anyone else experienced these
> issues.

I'll assume we are talking about apache this time?

It is difficult trying to discern exactly what you are asking.  My best
guess is that you are trying to setup a bunch of test websites on your
local computer using name-based virtual hosts, but when you actually make
a request, your browser is going to the real site on the internet.

One solution to this problem, for testing only, is to add the domain names
in question to the hosts file on your computer.  This is /etc/hosts on
unix and someplace under your windows directory on NT.
(c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts on my computer)

If that is not your question, then you need to ask more clearly.  It is
certainly NOT possible to configure an Internet-accessible website without
properly setting up DNS.

Joshua.