httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache server too busy?
Date Fri, 14 Feb 2003 16:24:10 GMT

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, Alex Pilson wrote:

> I keep seeing this in my logs, what do I need to do to alleviate this?
>
> [Fri Feb 14 11:01:34 2003] [info] server seems busy, (you may need to
> increase StartServers, or Min/MaxSpareServers), spawning 8 children,
> there are 0 idle, and 12 total children

You don't mention a version, which makes it slightly harder to answer.
A couple places to look for 2.0 information are:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/prefork.html
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/misc/perf-tuning.html#runtime
The stuff written there is mostly relevant to 1.3 as well.

Probably the biggest thing you can do to help is increase MaxSpareServers.
This will mean that Apache will not kill off spare processes as
agressively when your load decreases, and therefore there will be more
processes available to handle load spikes.

Increasing MinSpareServers will also help somewhat, but don't make this
too high.  StartServers can also be increased, but this will only affect
the initial ramp-up period as you start or restart the server.

In general, this is only an "info" message.  It means that your server is
slightly slower than necessary in responding to load spikes, but no other
harm is done.

Joshua.