httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] question about turning off indexing
Date Fri, 14 Feb 2003 01:07:58 GMT

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, CJ wrote:
> > 3. Do an inventory of every Options directive in
> > httpd.conf and your
> > .htaccess files and make sure there aren't any that
> > could be overriding
> > the ones we are talking about.  See:
> >
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/sections.html#mergin
> > for details on how
> > the configuration file is merged.
> > (The simple way to start is to find every single
> > Options directive and
> > make sure none of them contain either "Indexes" or
> > "All".  If you do that
> > and you still get directory listings, then you are
> > missing a configuration
> > file someplace.)
> >
> NO .htaccess files on the system or being called in
> the httpd.conf file.
>
> Listing of option statements OK
> I have not changed any from the default file.

That is not what I said.  Obviously the listing of option statements is
NOT OK or else it would be working.  As I already said, you should go
through and remove "Indexes" and "all" from every Options line.

If you do that, and you have
<Directory />
Options None
</Directory>
then there is no way that directory listings can be on.  If they are, you
have a basic problem like editting the wrong config file.

Joshua.