httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] question about turning off indexing
Date Thu, 13 Feb 2003 19:02:29 GMT

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, CJ wrote:

> Yes it is true. I have them on their own file system
> /cgi-bin is on a File system and /public is its own.
>
> Even so that should not matter.
>
> I made a dir called /public/cgi-bin and made an entry
> in my httpd.conf file to reflect this.
> I then stopped and started the server and I get the
> same result.
>
> I even tried to link the /public/cgi-bin to the
> /cgi-bin and same result. It follow the link fine.
>
> SO I have tried several places and options.
>
> What else do you recommend I try?

Ok.  Thanks for the more precise answer.

Here's what to do next:

1. Make sure there are no symbolic links or other funny filesystem
manipulations that could be confusing apache.  Apache does not reset the
pathname when following symbolic links.

2. Make sure you are editting the correct configuration file.  Do other
changes to the configuration file have their proper effect?

3. Do an inventory of every Options directive in httpd.conf and your
.htaccess files and make sure there aren't any that could be overriding
the ones we are talking about.  See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/sections.html#mergin for details on how
the configuration file is merged.
(The simple way to start is to find every single Options directive and
make sure none of them contain either "Indexes" or "All".  If you do that
and you still get directory listings, then you are missing a configuration
file someplace.)

4. If all else fails, post your complete, unmodified httpd.conf
configuration file, along with exact details on where the directory in
question is located, exactly what URL you use to access it, and exactly
what are the results in the browser, error log, and access log.

Joshua.