httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] .htaccess + htpasswd NOT working
Date Thu, 27 Feb 2003 04:06:05 GMT
On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Astrid Hendra wrote:

> Hi Rich,
>
> I've read the authentication tutorial and I followed all the instructions and the end
result is the same problem I have now.  The reason why my httpd.conf and assorted pariphenalia
looks different to the tutorial is because it didn't work I've been trying other ideas especially
those people have suggested to me.  I have tried group files as well as user files and the
problem does not go away.
> That would be where I sent you the actual username and password instead of the contents
of the .htpasswd file.  That was just me being confused over which information you wanted.
 The .htpasswd file was actually set up correctly using the htpasswd command.
> I understand that placing the password file in the same directory that the website is
served from is a no-no but I was doing this to demonstrate that the file could be accessed
from that directory because without authentication enabled the website was able to be accessed
by Apache. (I hope I've phrased that clearly enough).

Forgive me if I am asking questions that have already been asked. The
error message you are getting "user not found", seems to indicate to me
that you are using the 'file-owner' syntax in your configuration file.
Is that correct? Have you tried using 'valid-user' or other syntax? Any
difference in results?

--
Rich Bowen
Apache - mod_perl - Perl - CGI