httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] .htaccess + htpasswd NOT working
Date Thu, 27 Feb 2003 01:54:28 GMT
On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Astrid Hendra wrote:

> Hi Ken,
>
> Okay ... obviously I don't understand the purpose of .htpasswd.  I thought that httpd.conf
was meant to pop up a dialog box, take the username and password and check them against the
user and passwords added into the .htpasswd file and if everything matched up then let that
user have access to the files on the other side of that dialog box.
> Where does unix users come into play?

They don't. I think that your understanding is mostly correct as is. The
reference to /etc/passwd was not particularly relevant.

As we discussed on IRC, you need to read the authentication tutorial
(http://httpd.apache.org/docs/howto/auth.html) and set up your
configuration as outlined in there. I think that there's a good chance
that I've missed some of the conversation here, and I did not look
through the logs of our IRC conversation, so I could be forgetting
something. But what I seem to recall from our converstaion on IRC is
that you had incorrectly created the password file. However, it seems to
me that you had to leave before we arrived at that conclusion.

How are you creating the password file, exactly.

Also note that placing the password file in your document directory is a
really bad idea.

Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
As we trace our own few circles around the sun
We get it backwards and our seven years go by like one
	Dog Years (Rush - Test for Echo - 1999)