httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Formmail replacement
Date Fri, 21 Feb 2003 16:26:45 GMT
On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Richard Shaw wrote:

> I've got some FormMail abuse on a server running a couple of hundred vhosts. Our users
insist on not updating or properly configuring their copies of FormMail resulting in the usual
spam abuse. I would like to lock down FormMail in the most effective yet least invasive way,
ie something that doesn't require contacting lots of customers

> Solution wise i've got a couple. a) Only allow external mail from that box to go to our
subnet and force users to direct mail to their popboxes to retrieve FormMail output.  b) Write
a script to search through each cgi-bin dir and find a copy of FormMail, copy the relevant
variables, replace with nms-FormMail with the required variables inserted.  c) Ask users to
please replace their files ( obviously this one's unlikely to occur )

> How would you worldly wise Apache folk go about this ?

If you're using the original formmail from Matt Wright, I would
recommend that you move to the replacement which you can find at
http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/  So, in other words, I'd go with option
b) from your list. (I mention the URL in case other folks are not aware
of this URL. Clearly you are already aware of it.) My understanding is
that it is a drop-in, not requiring that users change their behavior in
any way.

--
Nothing is perfekt. Certainly not me.
Success to failure. Just a matter of degrees.