httpd-users mailing list archives

From geb...@ameritech.net
Subject [users@httpd] compiling openssl for openssl+apache+certs
Date Tue, 25 Feb 2003 03:42:30 GMT

Reading the docs on compiling openssl-0.9.7, I've come to some
questions and thought that there's more than enough
intelligence in this group to get some clarity.

First I was thinking about the args to .config.  The
"--prefix" option specifies where to put the generated
binaries, right?  I'm compiling openssl so I can use
apache+ssl+certificates.  I'm thinking that I don't really
need all the binaries this compile of openssl is going to
create.  Which of the generated binaries will I really need?
And where will I need to put them when the compile is
finished?

These questions came to mind because I'm thinking of two
strategies about the "--prefix" option:

1) If there's not too many binaries to be concerned about, I
   could do something like "./config --prefix=/tmp/openssl"
   and then just pick out the few needed binaries and move
   them by hand where they need to be.

Or

2) If there's too many binaries to know about, I could try to
   specify the "right" destination (whatever that is) and give
   that to the "--prefix" option.  The problem with this
   strategy is that, since I don't know exactly which files
   out of the openssl compile I'm going to need, I have no way
   of determining where they need to be placed.

For example, libssl (an older no-good version of it) is
currently located in both /usr/lib and /lib.  What do I set
"--prefix" to in order to place the new libssl in those
directories (if that's at all possible)?

Then there's all the same questions for the "--openssldir"
option.  The docs tell me that I can specify whichever
subdirectory I want to (and that's nice), but I don't know
what the

The current /usr/include/openssl/ directory contains all the
(old ssl) header files.  The docs say

* openssldir=DIR Directory for OpenSSL files. If no prefix is
                 specified, the library files and binaries are
                 also installed there.

This would lead me to believe that I should say
"--openssldir=/usr/include".  But then I'm also wondering if
possibly overwriting files there might be a bad idea?  And
though I might want to install the library files there, I
don't think I want to install the binaries there... or?

Thanks for any enlightenment you might provide.

Regardos,
ken