httpd-users mailing list archives

From Fabian Thorns <ftho...@rooTH.DE>
Subject [users@httpd] Namebased VirtualHosts with *.domain.tld ssl-certificates (fwd)
Date Sat, 15 Feb 2003 21:15:18 GMT
Good evening,

I know that my question seems to be answered in the FAQ but I still have a
question that doesn't seem to be answered there.

I noticed that it is not possible to set up namebased virtual hosts with
ssl because the certificates would be different for every virtual host
but in order to obtain the desired virtual host the certificate is
already needed. I am wondering why it is not possible to use the same
certificate for all virtual hosts underneath domain.tld that run within an
apache since it is possible to create certificates for *.domain.tld. With
such a certificate it should be possible to establish a ssl-connection to
the webserver and then use it for a http-request that include the desired
virtual host.

Is that possible with apache 2.0.44 or is it planed for one of the next
releases? Or is it not possible for some kind of reason? Or am I totally
wrong?

Regards,

Fabian