httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tim Wort <...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Web Hosting
Date Wed, 19 Feb 2003 02:03:15 GMT

I think the answer is it is not impossible but it PROBABLY won't be easy.

The first problem is DNS and how client will access the site, you probably
want to use a hostname like www.domain.tld but the IP is changing so how
do you assign that domainname to the IP address. The next problem is how
to get apache configured with a new IP address at each IP change.

The easy way would be if you are using Dynamic DNS so that the DNS records
are updated with a fixed hostname everytime a IP is assigned to your
machine. This is unlikely if you don't control the DNS service.

So one solution would be to have access to a DNS server that you can
update so you own or rent or otherwise can get  someone to do the DNS for
your domain and you can automate changing the address record for you
domain. I considered this because I have a box on a cable modem, assigned
a IP via DHCP but I travel a lot and wanted access to the machine via the
internet (not a web server but same issues).

(My solution was not difficult, I control a DNS server on another domain
and host my DNS there, I put a record in for my home machine and use that
name to access it from the net. My home box is a Sun server and runs 7-24
so the IP address is not re-issued because I don't reboot. This has worked
well, usually when I reboot I don't get a new address and it is never down
long enough for that to happen. I have had to change IP address three
times in a three or four years.)

The next problem is updating the server configuration, this is more
complex, you could do it via a script that checks the local IP on boot up
and re-writes the httpd.conf. You could run somethin in front of it that
catches the DHCP address (like the DSL router) and NAT your apache box
through it.

Other may have better suggestions. Good luck. :^)

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Issa Mbodji wrote:

> Hello:
>
> Is it possible to host my own website without a fix IP address? I have DSL and my IP
address is dynamic.

> Thanks.
>

> Mame Issa Mbodji
> 3201 Weeping Willow Ct # 33