httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tim Wort <...@pobox.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] How to make proxy work from the distribution binary?
Date Thu, 13 Feb 2003 18:11:45 GMT

It is off topic but...

Sun's first OS was BSD based and was known as SunOS, for example 4.1.3 was
a version number for BSD based SunOS. In the early 90's Sun purchased
source for AT&T System V Unix and introduced Solaris 2.x, at the same time
they renamed the BSD version Solaris 1.x.

Now, Solaris is not just the OS but a group of products including SunOS,
ONC (Open Network Computing) products. Around 1998 or so at the release of
Solaris 7 Sun dropped the 2. from the Product name. The last Official 2.
product was Solaris 2.6. With the release of Solaris 7 the product was now
released with a single digit in the product name. This was a marketing
move, nothing else. The Operatiing System (SunOS) still carries the 2.x so
the current release is SunOS 2.9 and is part of Solaris 9.

HTH

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Marriner, Bruce W. wrote:

> 	I got a quick question.. This is totatlly off-topic too.  But I am totally new to solaris,
and I was recently given a sparc box.  I have solaris version 8, when I go to apache distros
I find stuff for version 2.8?  What is the difference from 2.x solaris and the 7,8,9 versions?

=        Inkling Research Inc.      =
=    Tim.Wort@InklingResearch.com   =
=        Tim.Wort@pobox.com         =
=        Eschew Obfuscation         =