httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Michael Klama" <fvim...@earthlink.net>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Home directory access
Date Thu, 27 Feb 2003 18:53:37 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: Joshua Slive [mailto:joshua@slive.ca]
Sent: Thursday, February 27, 2003 8:55 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Home directory access

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Michael Klama wrote:
> <VirtualHost *>
>       ServerAdmin hostmaster@domain.xxx
>       DocumentRoot /home/*/public_html/

This makes no sense.  How is apache supposed to know which directory to
serve the request from?  What is supposed to replace the "*"?

Perhaps you want to trasparently place them in a directory based on the
userid they used to login?  If so, this will require some mod_rewrite
magic.

Joshua.

That is what I am trying to accomplish is to have them directed into their
home directory based on the user name they use to log in with.  I don't even
know if this is possible or if there is an easier way to allow site admins
to be able to access things such as usage statistics and do tasks such as
add email aliases and pop accounts.  What I intended to do was to place a
web page inside a directory of the particular users home directory and have
the necessary links on that page for them to do their administrative tasks.
I am probably going about this all wrong and any pointers would be greatly
appreciated.
Mike