httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Marriner, Bruce W." <Bru...@red-man.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] NT login user variables/Apache LDAP auth
Date Sat, 08 Feb 2003 18:25:42 GMT

	Nope.  I have not installed mod_ldap, but I have it.  I have both command line and php functions
that can access the A.D via ldap.  What I want is something that will prase the NTLM information
from the browser.  There is a module called mod_ntlm that exists but will not compile on my
system (rh8 w/ apache 2.0.44).  There is something of a handshake that takes place with the
browser and the server.  And the browser will transmit in base64 encoded the users login name,
password, domain, and a few other things.  What I really want is for apache to handle that
and place the answers in a enviroment variable that can then be seen by any server side scripts.
 I think with enough work I can write a function in PHP that will perform the task.  But the
company I work for uses cold fusion, and I know nothing about it. (mostly due to a lack of
desire to learn it)  This is actually a really big thing for me, and I hope I can figure it
out.  I am going to examine the code for mod_ldap best I can, maybe I can figure out why it
doesn't compile.  It was wrote for apache 1.3 versions.  I've never done any apache module
coding so I am not sure how lucky I'll get.  Anyone here good and converting 1.3 mods to 2.0
mods?

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Cohen [mailto:apache@gej-it.com]
Sent: Friday, February 07, 2003 9:40 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] NT login user variables/Apache LDAP auth

Hi Bruce,

Apache is not part of Win32 OS, good side of it: no viruses coming in from
the web server, although that the IIS is really built-in.
The bad side, it's not integrated so well in Win32 especially not in AD
permissions.
I guess you already found out the trick of using the mod_ldap and it's
already set-up and running for you, but again, the only thing that you can
do with it is to auth, you cannot define permissions, not right now, I know
that the apache dev team are currently developing an AD module that will
work with it on the 2.xs versions.

All the best,
Jeff Cohen