httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] REMOTE_USER isn't in request header after proxy
Date Tue, 25 Feb 2003 08:57:13 GMT
Plain text please...

When you proxy a request, the frontend server (i.e. proxy) makes a new
request to the backend server. So the backend sees REMOTE_HOST =
frontend server. If you want to pass environment variables from the
initial request, you have to pass them explicitly. One way would be to
use mod_rewrite to drive the proxy request, e.g.

RewriteRule /retail/
http://weblogicHost:weblogicPort/myWebApp?remote-user=%{REMOTE_USER} [P]
ProxyPassReverse /retail/ http://weblogicHost:weblogicPort/myWebApp/

This is untested and off the top of my head - check the mod_rewrite docs
for details.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

-----Original Message-----
From: "O┬┤Hehir,Oliver" [mailto:Oliver.OHehir@tre.se]

This all works fine; the users are authenticated and can access the
webapp in WebLogic. My only problem is that the request header
REMOTE_USER is missing when the the request arrives in WebLogic! As the
web application needs to know who is currently logged on, it is
important that this header is sent with the request.
So can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Why does REMOTE_USER
disapper between Apache and WebLogic?
Thanks in advance,
Oliver.

views of the sender's company.