httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Expires HTTP Header
Date Tue, 11 Feb 2003 07:52:49 GMT
Plain text please...

There are three directives which begin Expires***. Look in the docs and you'll see them. These
allow you to define a header using the apache module, mod_expires. If you want to use some
other method to generate the headers, that's fine, but remember that this is an apache mailing
list - not a general HTTP help-line, so you'll need to look elsewhere for support.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

-----Original Message-----
From: Monica Lau [mailto:mllau2002@yahoo.com]
Sent: Montag, 10. Februar 2003 18:39
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] Expires HTTP Header

Hi Boyle,
Thanks for your comment!  I have looked at the "ExpiresXXXX" directive, but I thought that
this was only if I were to use the Apache configuration file to generate the HTTP header.
 Since I'm not using that, do I still have to load mod_expires?  Maybe I'll try both and see
what happens...
Thanks,
Monica
 Boyle Owen <Owen.Boyle@swx.com> wrote:
Plain text please...

Have you looked at the "ExpiresXXXX" directives? You need to load
mod_expires but then this gives you a standard interface to generate
Expires headers.

Be aware that, although you may generate whatever headers you like, the
browser or proxy which is doing the caching is under no obligation to
obey them.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle