httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Help with DoS attack
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2003 14:15:27 GMT

Try using the Mark I Eyeball on the TransferLog...

Look for funny request strings, same client IP, rapid requests etc.
Check the response codes - do you get a lot of 404s?

>I am assuming that the problem it with apache since
>the number of httpd processes goes from ~70 (where
>everything is ok) to ~152 about the same time every
>day.

What content do you serve? E.g. if you have financial data, you might
expect this at the close of business each day.

Actually, hackers are unlikely to be so punctual. More probably, you
have a robot or webcrawler indexing your site on a cron job.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

>regards,
>robert