httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Capacity planning on the web
Date Tue, 18 Feb 2003 08:41:52 GMT
Plain text please...

What exactly are your concerns? There are some performance hints in the
docs (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/perf-tuning.html). The three
main things to worry about are memory, processor and pipe.

Memory: Generally, you should set MaxClients so that:

MaxClients x memory footprint of apache < machine memory

where "<" means "a fair bit less than". At this point MaxClients still
has to be large enough that clients never get "503 Server Unavailable".
To check this, wait until you're really busy, then do "ps -ef | grep
httpd | wc". If it turns out to be a problem, get more memory.

Processor: Run "top" continuously on the server and watch the load
average. If it spends a lot of time significantly over "N" where N = no.
of processors then you need more processors or a faster machine.

Pipe: mod_status will give you the rate of data served. Is it near the
width of your pipe? If so, more bits/sec are needed. Most ISPs can
upgrade the pipe at their end (the capacity is throttled to well below
the physical limit).

If your needs finally exceed the capability of a four processor, 2 GHZ
machine with a couple of gig of ram, then you need a load-balancer in
front and two machines (then put your data on a shared disk server...).
Linux is an excellent choice for OS since it is stable and scales well.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle