httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Problem with apache, mysql on redhat 7.3
Date Mon, 17 Feb 2003 08:38:31 GMT

I guess you have mod_ssl installed? mod_ssl uses shared memory so that
different daemons can have access to the same session information. To
ensure that two processes can't modify the same data, they use
semaphores to set a lock. Databases also use semaphores for the same
reason. The number of available semaphores is a kernel variable and, in
your case, this is being exceeded. On Solaris this is defined in
/etc/system. I don't know about Red Hat but this link (from google
"semaphore" "red hat") might help:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/database/RHDB-7.1-Manual/admin_user/k
ernel-resources.html

The problem is nothing to do with disk space.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

>OS: No such file or directory
>/usr/sbin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started
>
>I rebooted the system., resrted mysql and then apache. Got the
>same error
>message. I then stopped mysql and started apache. This time no
>problem. I
>then restarted mysql and got the following error:
>
>touch : creating `/var/lock/subsys/mysql': No space left on device
>Starting mysqld-max daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql 030217
>15:35:38  mysqld ended
>
>Thuis currently I can have either mysql or apache but not both.
>
>According to the df command none of my file systems are full.
>Can anyone
>help me?
>
>Regards
>
>Peter Goggin