httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Referring pages using apache + cgi scripts
Date Thu, 13 Feb 2003 13:31:01 GMT

The may indeed have accessed the first page, but are you sure that they
came to the second page by clicking a link in the first? If the simply
typed the URL of the second page into the address bar then the request
will have no "Referer" header (indeed, it MUST NOT, according to the
RFC).

>Any reason why this information wouldn't be being passed on? The people
>we've asked seem to have modern browsers (IE 5 or 6) and
>operating systems
>(WinNT etc.), and I assumed that referral information was
>mandatory anyway.

It is not mandatory as far as RFC 2068 (HTTP/1.1) is concerned. In fact,
the RFC advises that the client application (i.e. the browser) allows
the user to disable sending of the Referer header for reason of
confidentiality. Perhaps those few users have done this (BTW, does it
NEVER work for a few users or does it sometimes work for everyone?).

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

>Is there a solution?
>
>Thanks for your help,