httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Apache not shutting down idle processes
Date Tue, 11 Feb 2003 16:34:44 GMT

Nice machine...

>Symptom: over time, more and more apache processes are opened,
>up to the cap of 150, at which point the machine is critically low on
RAM.

Gosh.. that can't be good.

>Why is Apache not reusing these processes? It seems to keep
>opening more and
>more until it chokes. I have MaxSpareServers set to something like 20.

This is bad...

>I get about 700 users a day on the system. Today already so
>far I've had 250
>and they have only opened 25 Apache processes. It doesn't seem
>like I should ever need 150.

Indeed. What could be causing this???

>My only thought is that it has something to do with PHP.
>All the server does is serve a PHP app,

Oh oh...

>which opens a lot of database connections.

Arrgh!

>These are not persistent connections, though.

Oh yeah?

Please excuse my facetious approach but that was really what was going
through my mind when I read your post. As you probably know, this is not
typical behaviour for apache so I would respectfully suggest that there
is a problem with the implementation of your PHP database client. It
would indeed seem that the PHP client is keeping the DB handle open
after it has finished with it.

To debug, you might try running apache in single-user mode (-X switch)
under strace (I think, in Linux:

# strace httpd -X -f /path/to/config

and then watch what happens while you hit it. Obviusly, you'd need to
take the server offline to do this.

Also, what DB is it? Do you have any logging or analysis tools available
for it?

rgds,
Owen Boyle

>Any ideas? My users are getting killed ...
>
>-- sgl

>Steve Lane
>
>Vice President
>The Moyer Group