httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] DirectoryIndex for all directories
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2003 08:26:19 GMT

Do you mean http://servername/banana/ and http://servername/mango/
should both serve the same document?

There is no single directive which will do this because it is a bit
unusual.. (i.e. if two distinct URLs lead to the same doc, what is the
point of having distinct URLs?). However, ours is not to reason why and
so I assume you have a compelling reason for wanting to do this.

The simplest way I can think of is to make a symbolic link in the
filesystem so:

1) put index.html at the docroot
2) put "Options FollowSymLinks" at server config level
3) in docroot/banana, do "ln -s ../index.html index.html
4) in docroot/mango, do "ln -s ../index.html index.html

banana/index.html -> ../index.html
mango/index.html -> ../index.html

Alternatively, you could make rewrire rules.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle

>I answered to use
>DirectoryIndex /index.htm
>
>on my pc it worked but on his server it doesn't work.
>If he specified DirecotryIndex index.htm it works but doing
>that he has to
>create an index.htm for each sub-directory.
>
>Hope I explained it well.
>
>Could you help me ?
>
>Thanks,
>:-) Andrea, Italy