httpd-users mailing list archives

From "K a z" <ikaz...@hotmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] 'Listen' directive not working properly?
Date Wed, 26 Feb 2003 09:29:03 GMT

I've used apache for awhile, and am no stranger to UNIX. But I'm having a
really bad time trying to use the "Listen" directive.

I am trying to setup a couple different apache servers. One is a no-frills
slimmed down apache server thats intended to serve static pages fast.

The other has all the bells & whistles (mod_php, mod_perl, openSSL etc).

I am using name based virts on both machines. I am trying to "bind" some ip
addresses to one server and some ip addressess to the other.
Let's not even worry about the other server though, as I cant get past the
first part.

Here's what I'm trying to do:

(Real Ips foobar'ed to protect the innocent) ;)

Listen 11.22.33.227:80
Listen 11.22.33.228:80
Listen 11.22.33.229:80
Listen 11.22.33.233:80

Then later down by the virts I have:

NameVirtualHost *
and starting each virt set with a <virtualhost *>

Now, WITHOUT the 'Listen' entries, the server will run fine.. but it will be
bound to ALL interfaces/ips on the machine. But what I am trying to do is
SPECIFIY the ip's that THIS apache server should be listening on.

Anyway when I do it WITH the Listen statements above, I get the following
critical error in the logs:

[crit] (49)Can't assign requested address: make_sock: could not bind to
address 11.22.33.233 port 80

(basically it will report the LAST one... if I only have ONE 'Listen
ip:port' entry, then it will have the error message above with that ip,
ortherwise it will report the last one.

Any suggestions here?