httpd-users mailing list archives

From Steve Lane <sl...@moyergroup.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache not shutting down idle processes
Date Tue, 11 Feb 2003 17:58:21 GMT
> Please excuse my facetious approach but that was really what was going
> through my mind when I read your post. As you probably know, this is not
> typical behaviour for apache so I would respectfully suggest that there
> is a problem with the implementation of your PHP database client. It
> would indeed seem that the PHP client is keeping the DB handle open
> after it has finished with it.
>
> To debug, you might try running apache in single-user mode (-X switch)
> under strace (I think, in Linux:
>
> # strace httpd -X -f /path/to/config
>
> and then watch what happens while you hit it. Obviusly, you'd need to
> take the server offline to do this.
>
> Also, what DB is it? Do you have any logging or analysis tools available
> for it?

It's postgresql. There are some logging and analysis tools that I can look
into.

One suggestion I read just now in a PHP/Apache thread was to use
MaxRequestsPerChild to make sure those processes eventually die. So for now
I've set that 1000, and that might be all it takes to keep things
reasonable. We'll see. Any drawbacks to that approach?

-- sgl

Steve Lane

Vice President
The Moyer Group