httpd-users mailing list archives

From Steve Lane <sl...@moyergroup.com>
Subject [users@httpd] MaxSpareServers not working?
Date Mon, 10 Feb 2003 05:55:06 GMT
Hello all:

I'm running into trouble on an Apache server I'm managing. Apache 1.3.27,
RedHat 7.2, running on a dual-processor Dell box.

The problem is that Apache doesn't seem to be killing idle processes. Over
time, as more and more users hit the site, more and more processes get
opened, but none ever get killed off, despite MaxSpareServers being set to
20. I got a call today about the machine, which was totally non-responsive
to web requests. Open processes had maxed out at 150 and I was down to about
8 meg of RAM (out of 2 gig!).

Shouldn't these processes be dying off? They are all being used as part of a
PHP-based web application, which I believe no longer uses persistent
connections, so I don't think that's involved.

Any ideas?

-- sgl

Steve Lane

Vice President