httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Richard Shaw" <Richard.S...@vi.net>
Subject [users@httpd] Formmail replacement
Date Fri, 21 Feb 2003 15:33:20 GMT

I've got some FormMail abuse on a server running a couple of hundred vhosts. Our users insist
on not updating or properly configuring their copies of FormMail resulting in the usual spam
abuse. I would like to lock down FormMail in the most effective yet least invasive way, ie
something that doesn't require contacting lots of customers

Solution wise i've got a couple. a) Only allow external mail from that box to go to our subnet
and force users to direct mail to their popboxes to retrieve FormMail output.  b) Write a
script to search through each cgi-bin dir and find a copy of FormMail, copy the relevant variables,
replace with nms-FormMail with the required variables inserted.  c) Ask users to please replace
their files ( obviously this one's unlikely to occur )

How would you worldly wise Apache folk go about this ?

Regards

Richard

--
Richard Shaw