httpd-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Astrid Hendra" <Ast...@sigel.co.nz>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] .htaccess + htpasswd NOT working
Date Wed, 26 Feb 2003 21:30:41 GMT
Hi Pantelis,

I have checked both of those.  I've recreated the .htpasswd file and as I mentioned in my
first post I've moved it into the document root to rule out the possibility that the apache
user can't get to the directory it was formerly in.  The document root is accessible because
if I remove the settings in httpd.conf that provide me with a login box then I can access
the site fine.

Thanks,

Astrid Hendra.

-----Original Message-----
From: Pantelis Hadzipantelis [mailto:phadzi@tsrtech.net]
Sent: Thursday, 27 February 2003 10:17
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] .htaccess + htpasswd NOT working


Make sure the path for AuthUserFile is correct! And of course if the
user exists...

Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Pantelis Hadzipantelis
TSR Technologies Inc.
Linux Specialist
2421 Guenette, St-Laurent
Quebec, H4R 2E9
tel. 514-731-3418 fax. 514-731-3562
email. phadzi@tsrtech.net web. www.tsrtech.net
--------------------------------------------------------------------

-----Original Message-----
From: Astrid Hendra [mailto:Astrid@sigel.co.nz] 
Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 4:20 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] .htaccess + htpasswd NOT working

Hi Muralidhar,

That's because I changed it back to my former configuration after yours
didn't work (ie it didn't even provide me with a login box to enter
username and password into but gave full access to the site).  The
problem I have is it won't accept a correct username and password.  In
the logs it comes up with the two entries I've mentioned before
regardless as to whether a correct username and password is entered or
not.

My error.log shows this when I try to enter in a login/password.
[Wed Feb 26 14:23:04 2003] [error] user strudel not found:
/wedding/friends/
[Wed Feb 26 14:23:06 2003] [error] user strudel not found:
/wedding/friends/

My access.log shows this at the same time.
10.20.1.13 - strudel [26/Feb/2003:14:23:04 +1300] "GET /wedding/friends/
HTTP/1.1" 401 489
10.20.1.13 - strudel [26/Feb/2003:14:23:06 +1300] "GET /wedding/friends/
HTTP/1.1" 401 489

Regards,

Astrid Hendra

-----Original Message-----
From: Muralidhar [mailto:muralidhar@in-biz.net]
Sent: Thursday, 27 February 2003 00:05
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] .htaccess + htpasswd NOT working


Hi! Astrid Hendra,

When i am trying to browse your site www.strudelsoftware.com , it is
prompting for the authorization., this is what i mean .htaccess &
.htpasswd
is for.

I am getting the login box.

Muralidhar.N

----- Original Message -----
From: "Astrid Hendra" <Astrid@sigel.co.nz>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 12:01 PM
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] .htaccess + htpasswd NOT working


> Hi Muralidhar,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> That change works, but doesn't supply me with a login box so gives
access
to anyone who goes to the website.
>
> Regards,
>
> Astrid Hendra.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Muralidhar [mailto:muralidhar@in-biz.net]
> Sent: Wednesday, 26 February 2003 19:06
> To: users@httpd.apache.org
> Subject: Re: [users@httpd] .htaccess + htpasswd NOT working
>
>
> Hi!!
>
> I hope the following entry could solve your problem.
>
> Enter the following in your Apache httpd.conf  file
>
> <Directory "/var/www/strudel/">
> Options Indexes MultiViews
> AllowOverride None
> Order allow,deny
>  Allow from all
> </Directory>
>
> Regards,
> Muralidhar.N
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Astrid Hendra" <Astrid@sigel.co.nz>
> To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
> Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 7:08 AM
> Subject: RE: [users@httpd] .htaccess + htpasswd NOT working
>
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I have the same problem as Jason.  I've followed the information
provided
> in the Apache Httpd Documentation and also had some assistance from
people
> on two irc channels and they ended up referring me to this email list.
> > This is my VHost entry.  I've added the .htaccess into the
httpd.conf as
a
> directory.
> >
> > <Directory /var/www/strudel>
> >  AuthName "Strudel Access"
> >  AuthType Basic
> >  AuthUserFile /var/www/strudel/.htpasswd
> >  AllowOverride All
> >  Require User strudel
> > </Directory>
> >
> > <VirtualHost 210.54.31.225:80>
> > DocumentRoot /var/www/strudel
> > ServerName www.strudelsoftware.com
> > ErrorLog /var/log/apache/strudel-error.log
> > CustomLog /var/log/apache/strudel-access.log common
> > </VirtualHost>
> >
> > I've set up the .htpasswd file permissions to the Apache
Documentation.
> > The .htpasswd file has been put into the document root to rule out
the
> possibility that the apache user can't get to the directory it was
formerly
> in.
> > When authentication is #'ed out in the httpd.conf I can access the
website
> fine so the apache user can acces the directory structure.
> >
> > My error.log shows this when I try to enter in a login/password.
> >
> > [Wed Feb 26 14:23:04 2003] [error] user strudel not found:
> /wedding/friends/
> > [Wed Feb 26 14:23:06 2003] [error] user strudel not found:
> /wedding/friends/
> >
 > My access.log shows this at the same time.
> >>
> > 10.20.1.13 - strudel [26/Feb/2003:14:23:04 +1300] "GET
/wedding/friends/
> HTTP/1.1" 401 489
> > 10.20.1.13 - strudel [26/Feb/2003:14:23:06 +1300] "GET
/wedding/friends/
> HTTP/1.1" 401 489
> >
> > The apache server reports this as being it's "vital information":
> Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) Debian GNU/Linux mod_ssl/2.8.9 OpenSSL/0.9.6g
PHP/4.2.3
> configured
> >
> > I've spent several days trying to get this work and doing research
with
no
> joy at all and I would love some assistance :)
> > If I can offer anymore information to help solve the problem, please
let
> me know.
> >
> > Thank you very much,
> >
> > Astrid Hendra.
> >
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Jason S [mailto:jasonsmith@knology.net]
> > Sent: Tuesday, 25 February 2003 09:36
> > To: users@httpd.apache.org
> > Subject: Re: [users@httpd] .htaccess + htpasswd NOT working
> >
> >
> > > Hello Jason:
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > My Apache Information is:
> > > User nobody
> > > Group nobody
> > >
> > > My password file user/group is also same as above. But still
getting
> > prompt
> > > infinite times.
> > >
> > > But in Apache document it was mentioned to change the
characteristics
to
> > > foll:
> > > chown root.nogroup /usr/local/apache/passwd/passwords
> > > chmod 640 /usr/local/apache/passwd/passwords
> > >
> > > Any other hints...?
> > >
> > >
> > > >From: "Jason S" <jasonsmith@knology.net>
> > > >Reply-To: users@httpd.apache.org
> > > >To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
> > > >Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Re: .htaccess + htpasswd NOT working
> > > >Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 15:05:29 -0500
> > > >
> > > > > Hi Joshua:
> > > > >
> > > > > I changed to "AllowOverride All"
> > > > > and now it shows the Prompt....but even after entering proper
> > > > > Username/Password...it keeps on prompting it infinite times.
> > > > >
> > > > > Any other suggestions?
> > > > >
> > > > > THANKS again!
> > > > >
> >
> > > >Does your apache user own the /usr/local/apache/passwd/passwords
file?
> >
> > Do your apache error logs show failed authentications and reasons?
> >
> >
---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server
Project.
> > See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info.
> > To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
> >    "   from the digest: users-digest-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
> > For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org
>
>
> ---
> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.456 / Virus Database: 256 - Release Date: 2/18/03
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server
Project.
> See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info.
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
>    "   from the digest: users-digest-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server
Project.
> See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info.
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
>    "   from the digest: users-digest-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.456 / Virus Database: 256 - Release Date: 2/18/03


---------------------------------------------------------------------
The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server
Project.
See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info.
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
   "   from the digest: users-digest-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org


---------------------------------------------------------------------
The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server
Project.
See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info.
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
   "   from the digest: users-digest-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org



---------------------------------------------------------------------
The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server Project.
See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info.
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
   "   from the digest: users-digest-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org


---------------------------------------------------------------------
The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server Project.
See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info.
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
   "   from the digest: users-digest-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org


Mime
View raw message