httpd-users mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] please help me kill apache..
Date Thu, 13 Feb 2003 06:03:14 GMT
AHHH, progress.

Microsoft is very nicely adding .com or .net or .org onto the
end of your incomplete URL just because it thinks that helps
you.  Apparently not.

You don't have apache installed on your computer.

Your request was completed to http://www.micro.org/, why .org
was the first of the three options is beyond me... but... you can
look for yourself.  Look at the Network properties of the "Internet
Protocol (TCP/IP)" option, somewhere in there (depending on
your version) are general and advanced TCP/IP properties, within
'Advanced' is "Append these DNS suffixes (in order)" which must
contain .org, based on your observations.

Get a life, read FAQs, be civil and detailed when you pose a question
you expect to have answered.

Thank your OS vendor for lack of education, not us.  Putting it bluntly,
we are the good guys trying to make all the details transparent to anyone
who cares, without their having to pay $$$ for worthless MSCE training.

Someone set up a new server, that's the end of the story.  If you open
a "Command Window" (MSDOS prompt) and type a really simple:

  ping www.micro

it will tell you what IP address windows thinks it is talking to.  That
goes for your browser too.  Bet it ain't your machine's IP.  (You can
find that out with the command 'netstat'.)

Bill