httpd-users mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] FTP Access
Date Fri, 07 Feb 2003 08:11:51 GMT
At 12:44 AM 2/7/2003, J. Greenlees wrote:
>Quoting "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net>:
>>
>> That's actually one of Apache's best points, and makes a great motto...
>> 'It's just the web server, stupid.'  (Not insulting you --- that's as in
>> the quote "It's the economy, stupid.")
>>
>why on earth would I want an ftp client with the webserver? I can see
>ftp server with the web server, and I have proftp, anonftp, wuftp as
>supported options with linux, and they all work out of the box.

Are you asking about why proxy ftp through http?  Good question
I supposed, but Apache does it if you like (in Apache 2.0 you can
load or ignore that specific option, the same with http or proxy
CONNECT options.)  Usually, it's more of a firewall issue - piping
all traffic through the same gateway, etc.

>( something like half a dozen ftp clients, but the app used to ftp files
>up to the remote server isn't really a subject for the server list.

Sure it is (well s/used to ftp/used to post/) ... It's called WebDAV :-)

Bill