httpd-users mailing list archives

From George Valpak <gval...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] virtual hosting
Date Thu, 13 Feb 2003 20:05:56 GMT
At 01:52 PM 2/13/2003 -0600, George Hademenos wrote:
>why can't you just add A records for each name/virtual ip

You can if you are registering them in the right place, meaning the
authoritative dns server for the 2nd level domain or at least the domain
that you care about whatever its level. You can't just put A (or any DNS)
records into any old DNS and expect them to work.

You also need to seriously understand how your network is configured -
there could be firewall issues, there could be issues with your ISP
blocking port 80, there could be NAT issues. Bottom line is the first step
is to make sure your machine really can respond to the IP address (via
ping) that you think it can, get that into DNS, and then you are good to go
with apache config.

GV

PS - is your server's ip address public or private? If you are trying to
use a 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x or i forget the third range of public
addresses, and you try to enter then into a public DNS, you will probably
deserve all the pain that will fall on you. Just giving you a fair
warning....I am not going to explain this any further so I recommend
researching "DNS private address ranges" or something like that on google
if you don't understand.